Monday 16 January 2012

w/c 9 January - Back to average

Elidir Fawr from Carnedd Uchaf on a cold clear day - 15/1/12
A decent week - 5 sessions and a return to normal form.  This is more of a statement than it sounds because I have been well below par for about a year for one reason or another.  But at the cross country at Lilleshall on Sunday I was back to being fair to middling, inside the top half and amongst my running peers.  It's a good place to kick on from and was my target for the end of January.

I've decided against going solo, and soon after mentioning that, I've had some volunteers to help already which never ceases to amaze me.

As for last week's training, it was a good week, with two hill days and three quality sessions, including the XC race.

A dreary day on the rocky Glyders - 11/1/12
The Glyders on Wednesday were under thick cloud and rain, making for a tricky run across the top.  It was one of those days when you pull up in the car and think twice about getting out.  I managed a reasonable run out over Y Garn and the two Glyders, but didn't fancy Tryfan and that gully descent in the wet on my own.  A bit of SMJ i thought (Sound Mountain Judgement, which is what you say to yourself it is when you think you're being a wuss).


A tough club session (hill sprints), the XC and some mile intervals near home worked on the quality aspect and then on Sunday, the sun came out and so I took off to the Carneddau.  It was a complete contrast to the Wednesday run, a blazing winter sun and perfect visibility on and around Foel Fras.

So in all, about a 40 mile week with about 8,000' of climbing - not bad.

Week summary

Mon - 6M, 5 * 1M intervals
Tues  - Rest
Weds - 8M, 3500' ascent - Y Garn and Glyderau in bad weather
Thur - 8M, club session hill sprints
Fri - Rest
Sat - XC race 6M, 39mins
Sun - 13M, 3800' ascent - Foel Fras round to Moel Wnion



Wild Horses on the Carneddau - 15/1/12

No comments:

Post a Comment