Sunday 11 December 2011

w/c 5 December - an odd source of inspiration...

I got inspired by a road runner today.

Today, I was the driver of the lead car for the Border League road race that my club Tattenhall Runners organise. For just over 30 minutes, my rear view mirror reflected the image of a blue-vested athlete running with grace and power in the pouring rain as he pulled away from the 300 strong field.  After 2 miles, there were no other figures in my mirror - he was well clear and a class apart.

So for four miles (about 20 minutes!) I had a good look at him, reflecting on his reflection. What makes him so different to the rest of them?  Was it talent alone?  Was it something he'd done, some way of training?  And was it something I could learn from? I looked for clues in the 2 inch reflected image.

What I saw was both obvious and newly compelling.  Simply put, he looked like an athlete.  He was both powerfully built and sinewy.  His arms were not bulky but looked strong.  He looked like he'd trained his body, not just his legs.  He looked like, and was, an athlete.

It occurs to me that this Paddy Buckley malarky is going to require me to be fitter than I've been before.  Correction, stronger than I've ever been before. It's a 'good hour' longer than the Bob Graham according to basic legend, and my time for the BGR was 23:35 (although admittedly, I slowed right down and smelled the roses when I knew it was in the bag).  I need to be at least as strong as I was then.

Realistically, stronger.  Especially as I'm running alone.

Training for 24 hour escapades is typically based around long hill days, running hard on hill reps and anything that gets the legs in shape for climbing and descending.  I'm not sure I can do much more of that than I did before.  But thinking of that whole-body athlete powering along in my rear view mirror today made me remember something - that whole body weariness that grows as you move into the last stages of a round.  He didn't look like he'd be troubled by such matters.  I'm very slight and do find my thin little body does ache and after big days out - I rely completely on a strong pair of legs!

So for the first time in my entire life, I'm going to build weights into my training.  I'm not planning on getting buff, but I do want to get an all round strength which I've never had.

Add to that a better look at food and sleep and who knows, maybe I'll be an athlete by the time I'm ready to crack the Paddy Buckley.

o0O0o

Week training summary:

Mon - 4 Tattenhall Railways and some trail running - 1300' ascent/5 miles
Tues - Moel Famau - dash up and back - 1000' ascent, 4 miles
Weds - Rest
Thurs - Moel Famau up and back again, VERY windy and cold, storms on the news! 1000', 4M
Fri - Moel Famau from Cilcain and back via the plank bridge - 1400', 6M
Sat - Rest (actually, hungover!)
Sun - Trail run and railway, Sandstone Trail - 8M, 1200'

Total - 5,900', @30 miles - Steady week with no big day, building up gradually after injury



No comments:

Post a Comment