Sunday 4 December 2011

w/c 28 Nov - Keep it simple, stupid

No sooner did I decide that I wanted to keep it simple and go solo on the PBR, it went and got complicated.

I mean, what flavour of solo will it be?  The FRA Forum seems to be alive with suggestions. Solo-unsupported, solo-self supported, solo-supported?  Is self-supported (stashing food) really the same as unsupported (carrying everything - the 'purest' way) given that no-one is helping you at any point.  If both are truly unsupported, how else might we distinguish between these two shades of lunacy?

It doesn't matter to me because I am getting some help.

I'm going to run the round on my own, but will get some support at the road crossings only.  Every step of the PBR will be done alone, carrying my own kit and food.  This is a format I've set myself because a) this is about journeying the fells alone, not making this as hard as I can and b) this is a compromise that my wife is happy to live with.  b) is critical to a successful and enjoyable round and she's had her fill of watching my suffering during my winter rounds and so doing this alone throughout is too much for her to bear.  So completely solo is a no-go.  It's only right she gets to influence how i do this, given she'll be caring for Rosie (our 10 month old daughter) whilst I'm out training.  To quote Billy Bland, "If you're now't at home, you're now't anywhere".

So that's makes it solo-supported.  Simple.

It won't be anything if I can't train but thankfully, the torn calf that has bothered me seems to have healed nicely.  This leaves being unfit as the main issue to address now, well that and the fact I don't know about 50% of the route.

This week saw some progress towards addressing both these issues.  I managed to have a great training week that got me exploring the Welsh mountains whilst not making that silly mistake of doing too much too early.  A 9000' week done in three outings - just about right.

The best day was Friday, heading up Snowdon/ Yr Wyddfa from Llanberis and coming back via the PBR route to Moel Eilio - a circuit of about 13 miles taking in 5300' of ascent.  There was snow and clag about 700 metres and a very cold wind.  That route is a gem, with a tricky finish through the streets and paths on the edge of the town (more FRA Forum advice - thank you!) and it was so very enjoyable.  Pete's Eats afterwards was also just magic - a cracking fry up.

I realised at a stroke that the gradual climb up Snowdon is runnable, and a fit me should be able to run most if not all way up.  I had a fair amount of gear, given the weather, and was not fit enough to run it then, but I have my eye on this for a springtime training run done lightweight.  (I even decided to buy some trail shoes afterwards to make running this good track more comfortable and went for the Solomon Speedcross.  Can't wait to try them out!).  I'll be back on this when it's warm, clear and when I'm fitter....

I also chucked in my old training run from the Horseshoe Pass along the Llantysilio ridge and back again - about 8 miles and with 3100' ascent/descent.  I didn;t time it because I knew it would be slow compared to previous runs, but it was important to me to be able to run all the (very steep) climbs and i just about managed it.

Add a couple of Tattenhall railways and we have a good week.

I already feel good about this round.  No date, simple format, few dependancies and a desired rather than essential target time (24 hours).  It's simple, now that I know what to call it.

Week Summary:

Monday - Nothing, busy day working
Tuesday - 2 Tattenhall Railways, very loose and wet
Wednesday - Gamelin run - 3100'/8M
Thursday - Nothing
Friday - Llanberis circuit - Snowdon to Moel Eilio - 5300'/8M
Sat/Sun - legs feeling a bit tight, and two Christmas do's to, erm, do.  So nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment